Labour Economics, Applied Econometrics, Economics of Education, Economics of Immigration, Personnel Economics.
- “Job Satisfaction and Coworker Pay in Canadian Firms” (with Brian Krauth, SFU), forthcoming, Canadian Journal of Economics.[DOWNLOAD]
- “Labour Market Mobility and Early-Career Outcomes of Young Immigrant Men” (With Andrew McGee, University of Alberta), forthcoming, IZA Journal of Development and Migration.[DOWNLOAD]
- “Noise or News? Learning About the Content of Test-Based School Achievement Measures”, 2015, The Berkeley Electronic Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, 15(3): 14147-1453. [DOWNLOAD]
- “Glass Ceilings or Glass Doors? The Role of Firms in Male-Female Wage Disparities”, 2015, Canadian Journal of Economics, 48(2): 529-560. [DOWNLOAD][My presentation at 2013 CRDCN Conference]
- “Fiscal Transfers to Immigrants in Canada” (with Krishna Pendakur, Simon Fraser University), 2014, Journal of International Migration and Integration, 15(5):777-797. [DOWNLOAD]
- “How do school ‘report cards’ affect school choice decisions?” (with Jane Friesen, Justin Smith and Simon Woodcock), 2012, Canadian Journal of Economics, 45(2):784-807. [DOWNLOAD]
- “Moving Up or Falling Behind? Gender, Promotion, and Wages in Canada” (with Andrew McGee, University of Alberta), Revision Requested at Industrial Relations.[DOWNLOAD]
- “Visible Minorities and Job Mobility: Evidence from a Workplace Panel Survey”, Under Review.[DOWNLOAD]
- “Not for the Profit, But for the Training? Gender Differences in Training in the For-Profit and Non-Profit Sectors” (with Benoit Dostie, HEC Montreal), Under Review.[DOWNLOAD]
- “The Effect of Chinese FDI in BC and Other Jurisdictions,” Prepared for the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada and BC Ministry of International Trade, February 2014.
- “Immigration and the Canadian Economy” (with David Jacks and Krishna Pendakur), Metropolis British Columbia Working Paper, No. 12-09.
This paper was one of the four comprehensive reports that summarized research output over the 16-year history of the Metropolis BC project and was presented at Metropolis BC’s final event, September 12, 2012.
- “The Effect of the Career Transition Assistance Initiative on the Timing of Training Participation and the Duration of Training” (with Simon Woodcock, SFU).
This study was prepared for Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), January 2013.
Work in Progress:
- “Canadian Immigrants and Training Opportunities: Evidence from Canadian Linked Employer-Employee Data” (with Benoit Dostie, HEC Montreal).
- “The Effect of Test-Based Information on School Enrolment Growth” (with Simon Woodcock and Jane Friesen, SFU)
- “What Makes a Successful Movie? Evidence from IMDB” (with Simon Woodcock, SFU)
- “Surveying Views Among Economists” (with Ha-Joon Chang, Cambridge)
- “Satisfaction and Labour Turnover” (with Kelly Bedard, UC Santa Barbara)
- “Unintended Consequences: The Effect of Immigration Crackdown on Public Safety”
- “Why Women are Happier at Work?”